Are you wondering how to convert MBOX files to PDF? This is a common question that many users ask. You can either do this manually or automatically. Both these methods require third-party software. Keep reading to find out more.
Method 1: Use the Thunderbird Add-on (Manual)
As mentioned, you can either do the job manually or automatically. You will have to use the Thunderbird add-on if you’re going the manual route.
Just remember to be careful. One wrong move could permanently cost you data.
- Download the Thunderbird add-on
- Go to Select Tools > Add-ons in the toolbar
- Install the ImportExportTools software
- Go to the software location
- Click on its icon to open it
- You should see a screen appear. Tap the Install Now button
- Restart your computer once the tool has been installed
- Open thunderbird
- Pick the email that you want to change into a PDF
- Go to Tools > Import/Export Tools > Export All Messages
- Click on the OK button after tapping on the PDF format from the list
- Click OK and ignore the warning that appears
Method 2: Migration Tools (Automatic)
If you want to try something else, you can use migration tools. In our opinion, the MBOX Migration Tool is the best. Not only is it easy to use, but it’s secure as well.
Here’s how you use it:
- Download the MBOX Migration Tool
- Click on the Add File button
- Choose the MBOX document from your saved location folder
- Select the filters that you want added
- Tap on a destination that you want it to be saved to
Why Should You Convert From MDF to PDF?
Converting MDF files to PDF come with many benefits. Some of them include:
- You will have files that are password-protected. Anyone who has sensitive files will find this useful.
- PDFs can be utilized as legal documents. You can use them for other official tasks as well.
- You can keep your pictures, typefaces, headings, and hyperlinks in good-shape when using the file format
- You won’t lose much space, as the files are relatively small
- You can access PDFs in any location, and they are easy to print too
- The files maintain the original format of your document
- PDFs are multi-platform, which means that they can be used on any operating system imaginable.
How Do You Fix the “No Valid MBOX Files” Error?
While you’re trying to convert documents, you might face the “No Valid MBOX Files” error.
There 2 troubleshooting tricks to try:
Solution 1: Change Your Directory
Users tend to face the error when accessing their Mac mailbox from the wrong directory.
Fixing this is easy:
- Backup your directory level by one
- Select the mailbox folder from the following pathway – /home/library/mail/mailboxes
- You should see a list of your MBOX data on the screen
- Select the document that you have been having trouble with
You should be good to go now, but you can try the below fix if not.
Solution 2: Change your Mac Operating System
You could also face the issue when migrating MBOX files from one Mac OS version to another.
- Go to the following pathway – ~/library/mail/and~/library/preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
- Close the mail.app
- Copy Messagerules.plist from the old folder and then paste it into the /library/mail/v2/maildata/ location
- Delete the messagerules.plist.backup that’s in the current folder
- Open the mail.app again
- Go through and verify the preferences that are on the screen
- Click on the File option
- Tap the Import Mailboxes button
- Click on Apple Mail, and then on Continue
- Go to the pathway where your Mbox data is stored
- Click on it and then select the Choose button that pops up
- Tap Continue
- Restart the mail.app application
- Go to the import mailbox menu, and then move the mailboxes to the original pathway
Converting MBOX to PDF
Converting these documents is easy. In fact, there are 2 different methods to try. Either use the Thunderbird extension, or use a migration tool. We’ve discussed both of these methods in-depth. Using the migration tool is the easier option, as everything would be done automatically.
Hopefully, you found everything that was discussed useful. So, what did you think?